Skills Labs, Facilities & Resources
Sentara College of Health Sciences will provide you with the skills, knowledge, and experience necessary to lay a solid foundation for employment and growth and, most importantly, the confidence and high level of clinical experience you need to begin caring for patients after you graduate.
What makes Sentara College of Health Sciences one of the top healthcare schools in the region is the hands-on clinical training and experiences you’ll receive. Through the training in our skills labs, simulation center, the exposure and extensive clinical training in a wide variety of facilities, and the educational resources you can access, you will thrive in the environment we have created. We prepare you to be an outstanding clinical professional through an exceptional educational experience that will give you an insight and sensitivity that will set you apart from all others.
Skills labs prepare you for the desired clinical profession you have chosen. The College creates an environment similar to the facilities where clinicals are completed. We have several interactive skills labs with simulated patient rooms. These labs provide students with opportunities to practice many skills prior to working with actual clients in the various facilities.
- The College offers a variety of classrooms and skills laboratories for simulated clinical or client care activities and conference areas to meet educational needs.
- The Cardiovascular Technology Program has a lab, complete with equipment and supplies, for practicing invasive and hemodynamic monitoring and cardiac or vascular ultrasound. We use simulation in our cardiovascular labs.
- The Surgical Technology Program has a simulated operating room lab, complete with prep area, trays, and selected equipment where students practice.
- The Nursing Program and Care Partner Course use skills labs with simulated client care beds for practice and demonstration of competency in nursing skills. Bedside computers and audio/visual equipment aid students in practice. We also use the state-of-the-art Sentara Simulation Center.
- Skills labs are also available at the Sentara CarePlex Hospital in Hampton.
You will get the clinical expertise, hands-on patient care, and observation skills you desire and need through the Program or Course you choose. The extensive and exceptional hands-on training provided in our facilities and collaborations is what sets us apart from others.
As a student of Sentara College of Health Sciences, you may have clinical rotations in selected departments/units within acute care hospitals, such as emergency room, cardiac cath lab, and cardiac diagnostic unit, operating room, outpatient surgical areas, labor and delivery unit, medical surgical units, and various critical care areas.
Sentara Healthcare hospitals used for student clinical experiences include:
- Sentara Norfolk General Hospital
- Sentara Heart Hospital
- Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital
- Sentara Bayside Hospital
- Sentara Leigh Hospital
- Sentara CarePlex Hospital
- Sentara Obici Hospital
- Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center
Other Sentara Facilities include outpatient and diagnostic centers, physician practices, urgent care centers, nursing and assisted living centers, adult day care centers, and a home healthcare agency.
Professional partnerships or affiliations exist with other healthcare organizations, such as Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters and Virginia Beach Psychiatric Center.
- The Learning Resource Center (LRC) is equipped with computers, a copier/printer, and is adjacent to the library.
- The Sentara Healthcare Library is located at Sentara College of Health Sciences. It is equipped with approximately 4,000 books, 200 print journals, over 100 multimedia items, and over 2,900 full-text online resources. The library has a variety of databases available for use in the library and on the Intranet. A photocopier and TV/VCR is available near the library. The online catalog provides access to some e-books and e-journals.