Certified Private Vocational Institution through The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV).
Accredited by the
Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
High School Care Partner Course
- Must be a rising high school senior to apply. (Junior status)
- Applications are due prior to Sept. 1st of your senior year.
- Must have a “C” average – 2.0 or greater cumulative GPA to apply.
- Must have approval from high school for Early Release.
- The Course begins in the September/October timeframe and ends in late April.
- Classes are typically M-Th from 1:15 to 4:15 P.M.
- Clinicals begin in Spring and are typically scheduled from 2:00 to 7:00 P.M. two of the class days per week.
- All Course requirements are completed during the hours of class.
- You must have your own transportation to attend class and clinical assignments.
- You will receive two CTE credits for high school transcript if high school approves.
- Students who wish to work upon graduation must be at least 18 years old to work for Sentara Healthcare.
- Three references will be required after application and transcripts are received.
- Registration is mandatory and if under 18 years old, you must be accompanied by a parent.
- Prepares you to work within Sentara Healthcare.
- Sentara Healthcare pays for your course and administrative fee. Tuition, Fees, and Expenses
- High School Students, Parents, or Counselors have questions?
The Care Partner Course was added in 1994 in response to the need for consistent and formal training for multi-skilled patient caregivers in Sentara acute care hospitals. The High School Care Partner Course began in September 2004 in the response to the need for growing our workforce in Hampton Roads. Care Partners work for Sentara Healthcare and are trained exclusively for their important role in the hospital setting.
Care Partners are members of a discipline that combines the quality of caring with technical interventions, communication, and knowledge integration to support the nurse in the delivery of quality client care in an acute care setting. They help patients with daily living activities such as bathing and eating. Care Partners also draw blood specimens, perform dressing changes, and operate selected equipment.
The High School Care Partner Course is an exceptional opportunity for you to solidify your interest in a healthcare career. The Course exposes you to many healthcare professionals and various patient populations. We prepare you to work as a Care Partner for Sentara Healthcare and enter a professional work environment immediately after graduation.
Your Exceptional Learning Experience
- You will learn basic skills such as how to meet personal hygiene needs of patients; how to take vital signs, principles of infection control and body mechanics. You will receive higher level skills necessary to work in an acute care hospital within Sentara Healthcare.
- With 60 lecture hours and 135 clinical hours, graduates of the Course are prepared to work collaboratively with the healthcare team and clients and provide essential information and assistance to achieve preferred health-related outcomes. Your learning experience spans from september to April of your Senior Year of High School.