Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
1361 Park St., Clearwater, FL 33756
and the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
Certified Private Vocational Institution through The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV).
A Non-Invasive Peripheral Vascular Technologist (Vascular Tech) evaluates blood flow within the arteries and veins of the body, other than those of the heart, in an attempt to diagnose or rule out the presence of vascular disease. It is done without injections or dye, thus making it non-invasive. Vascular Techs work with the following areas of the body: arteries and veins of the arms and legs, the arteries of the neck and head, the arteries and veins of the kidneys, liver and mesenteric circulation.
Two modalities are used to assess patients: physiologic and duplex ultrasound. Physiologic studies involve obtaining blood pressures of the arms and near the ankle and the use of Doppler probes to obtain waveforms of the arterial blood flow to determine if there are blockages. Duplex ultrasound produces a sonographic image of the vessel as well as provides information regarding changes in blood flow velocity, which may be abnormal and characteristic of specific vascular disease processes (i.e. blood clots, stenosis, or an aneurysm).
As a Vascular Tech, you will play an important, sometimes critical role, in patient care. You will work one on one with the patient and write a preliminary report for the reading physician. Treatment will be instituted in part or totally as a result of your efforts.
Currently accepting for the January 2015 session.
General Education Requirements
A minimum of 10 credits from the below list of general education courses must be completed to apply.
ALL courses must be completed prior to beginning the Cardiovascular Technology Program in January.
College Level Requirement
Anatomy & Physiology I w/lab
Anatomy & Physiology II w/lab
Fine Art Elective
For transcripts reviews, please join us for an Academic Planning and Information Session.
Preadmission Testing Requirement
The TEAS V for Allied Health is required for consideration into the Cardiovascular Technology Program. For more information about this test and how to prepare for and register please click here.
1. Deadline to apply August 31, 2014. Submit your application, your college transcripts and the $85 non-refundable administrative processing fee. Please note: You may only apply for one specialty.
2. TEAS V for Allied Health test must be completed and submitted by August 31, 2014.
3. Notification that your application and test have been received will be made by September 15, 2014. If you meet requirements to move onto the interview, the interview date and job shadowing date will also be made at that time. *Job shadowing takes place at Sentara Heart Hospital. We take you around to all four specialty labs to help solidify your decision of a specialty.
4. Interviews will take place the first week of October 2014. Job shadowing occurs the week after interviews.
5. Decisions will be rendered and applicants will be notified by October 15, 2014.
6. If accepted, the non-refundable class deposit of $100, which will be credited to your tuition the day you start, is due by November 15, 2014.
7. ALL official transcripts for all general education course requirements due by January 1, 2015. Students will not be allowed to start classes unless the College has official transcripts.
For full details on Advanced Placement in the Cardiovascular Technology Program please see our Catalog.
Please note: Tuition and Fees are subject to change without notice.
Non-Invasive Vascular Study & Adult Echocardiography = $17,825* (includes ARDMS Registry Exam fee; 56 credit hours) *Please note: Ultrasound Instrumentation courses at Tidewater Community College are required for students in the Echocardiography and Vascular specialties. Tuition costs for those courses, for in-state and out-of-state residents, are in addition to the costs indicated above.
Uniform costs = approx. $150
Book costs (new) = Invasive $723-989; Electrophysiology $900-1,502; Echocardiography $931-1,346 and Vascular $951-1,140.