Facts About the College
- Our Programs and Courses have high retention rates.
- We offer Programs and Courses that are in high demand.
- We offer the best educational experience you will find in the specialty you select.
- Our Nursing Program has one of the highest retention rates in the region.
- Our Nursing students consistently exceed the National and Commonwealth of Virginia's NCLEX pass rate averages for first-time test takers.
- We offer the only accredited (CAAHEP) Peripheral Vascular and Non-Invasive Cardiovascular Programs in Virginia.
- We offer one of two accredited (CAAHEP) Invasive Cardiovascular Programs in Virginia and the only one in the region.
- Our Surgical Technology Program is over 50 years old and is one of 8 programs in the state.
- Our Degree Programs have an application deadline for each Program start date.
- Our Allied Health Continuing Education Courses are conducted under a rolling admissions process and are therefore first come, first serve.
- Our annual student body averages 500 people.
- We have an average faculty body of 50.
Sentara College of Health Sciences is owned and operated by Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, which is owned and operated by Sentara Healthcare, a not-for-profit integrated healthcare system located in Norfolk, Virginia. Sentara facilities are located in the Hampton Roads region of Virginia, in central Virginia, in northern Virginia, and in northern North Carolina. The College is located in Chesapeake, Virginia.
Sentara Healthcare Mission Statement, Vision Statement, and Strategic Imperatives
Sentara Healthcare Mission Statement:
“We improve health every day.”
Sentara Healthcare Vision Statement:
“Be the healthcare choice of the communities we serve.”
1. Always improving
2. Caring for defined populations
3. Creating growth
Sentara College of Health Sciences Vision, Mission, Values, and Goals
To be the leader in innovative health sciences education.
Provide transformative education in health sciences by creating a culture of innovation and service to promote excellence in professional practice.
- Commitment to academic excellence and student success
- Integrity and authenticity
- Collaboration and shared decision making
- Embracing change
- Constructive self-reflection
The Goals of the College are:
- Education Quality: Strengthen the recognized quality, transferability, portability, and accreditation of the College’s educational programs to ensure stakeholder value
- Student Success: Strengthen learning outcomes and retention, graduation, and placement rates of students to ensure their personal and professional success as healthcare professionals
- Responsive Growth: Strengthen the College’s financial footing in efforts to move toward a sustainable business model
- Program Competitiveness: Analyze every component of the programs from application to graduation and modify/enhance any process to attract the current generation of students
- Operational Efficiency: Strengthen program and support service efficiencies that ensure cost-effectiveness