Out of State Authority and Student Complaint Procedure

About Us

Out of State Authority and Student Complaint Procedure

Sentara College of Health Sciences is authorized to operate as an institution of higher education by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV). Virginia is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA).

As of January 2016, Sentara College is a participating SARA institution in Virginia. Participation in SARA is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state.

While SARA does monitor the laws in each state, authorization of distance education is a dynamic environment and prospective students should check this site often for updates.

SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education. Institutions that operate under SARA are authorized to provide online education to students from all SARA member states. States and institutions that choose to become members of SARA operate under a set of policies and standards overseen by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements and administered by four regional higher education compacts.

For more information about SARA, please visit them here.

Student Complaints

Sentara College works to find positive outcomes for all student concerns. Students should first seek informal resolution of any concern or issue through internal avenues of complaint resolution outlined in the institution formal complaint or grievance procedure before going outside the College. If, after exhausting the institution’s internal grievance procedures, the institution has not responded to the student’s satisfaction or a satisfactory remedy has not been found, a student from Virginia or from any SARA member state may file a formal complaint (cannot be about grades or student conduct violations) with the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV). SARA member states are shown on this map.

A formal complaint may be used by students who perceive an infraction of the Student Bill of Rights and Responsibilities. Below is a list of agencies that students may contact to file a complaint.

State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV)       

101 N. 14th St.                       

James Monroe Building - 9th floor          

Richmond, VA 23219



Sentara College of Health Sciences is accredited by Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES). Complaints related to accreditation requirements may be submitted in writing using the ABHES complaint form, which can be obtained here.

Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)

7777 Leesburg Pike, Suite 314 N. 
Falls Church, VA 22043

Nursing Programs

Student in the nursing programs may file a complaint to:
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)

655 K Street, NW, Suite 750
Washington, DC 20001

Cardiovascular and Surgical Technology Programs

If you are a student currently enrolled in a program or you are a former student, potential student, faculty, or any other interested party and you have a concern about a Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHEP) accredited program, please read the CAAHEP Complaint Policy. If, after reading the policy, you wish to file a complaint, you may use the form available there.

What's Next