The Sentara Nursing Student Association (SNSA) at Sentara College of Health Sciences focuses on leadership, scholarship, and professionalism for nursing students. SNSA is a pre-professional organization geared towards the development of nursing students and is a constituent of the National Student Nurses' Association (NSNA). As a part of the NSNA, Sentara’s nursing student association works to bring together and mentor students preparing for initial licensure as registered nurses, as well as those enrolled in baccalaureate completion programs. The SNSA conveys the standards and ethics of the nursing profession, along with promoting the development of the skills that students will need as responsible and accountable members of the nursing profession. The SNSA advocates for high quality, evidence-based, affordable and accessible healthcare, and as advocates for and contributors to advances in nursing education. The SNSA develops nursing students who are prepared to lead the profession in the future.
NSNA Mission Statement
NSNA’s mission is to mentor students preparing for initial licensure as registered nurses, and to convey the standards, ethics, and skills that students will need as responsible and accountable leaders and members of the profession.
- General meetings are held once per month and are open to all Sentara College nursing students
- Membership fees for SNSA at Sentara College are included in tuition for all junior and senior level nursing students
- Career planning opportunities
- Subscription to Imprint, the professional magazine for student nurses
- Discounts on study tools/NCLEX reviews, health & liability insurance, apparel, school supplies, and hotels
- Discounts on NSNA Annual Convention & Midyear Career Planning Conference registration fees
- Discounts on student membership in select professional nursing organizations
- Leadership development and community outreach opportunities
- Earn school credit through NSNA Leadership U
- Awards program
- Scholarship opportunities
- Preparation for the NCLEX. Preparation for practice (NSNA members receive 25% discount on Lippincott NCLEX-RN PassPoint)
- Halloween Bake Sale
- Flu Shot Clinic
- Emergency Drill at SNGH
- Relay for Life
Meet the Officers
(L-R) Michelle Bravo, treasurer; Stephanie Newby, secretary; Kathleen Redmond, senior liaison; LeAnn Johnson, breakthrough to nursing; Kirsten Glover, breakthrough to nursing; Marina Pickell, president; Alexandra Egress, vice president.