About the Course
In this 16-week course you will gain experience working under the direct supervision of nurses, providing care for hospitalized patients.
Learn the Skills for a Healthcare Career in Just 16 Weeks
Graduates of the Patient Care Technician course can work as either Patient Care Technicians or Nursing Care Partners. In either role, you will provide vital patient care under the direct supervision of a nurse. You will help patients with daily living activities, such as bathing and eating. You will also take vital signs, draw blood specimens, perform wound care and dressing changes, insert urinary catheters, perform EKGs, and other selected medical tests and procedures. You will learn other skills, too, like how to operate specialized equipment, and how to communicate with healthcare providers, patients, and family members during sometimes stressful situations. You will be responsible for delivering quality patient care in the acute care setting.
Your Educational Experience
As a student, you’ll learn in classrooms, skills labs, clinical settings, and online, thanks to the College’s emphasis on hybrid learning. You’ll learn material when it’s convenient for you, then come together in class to discuss what you’ve learned; or in skills labs, where you’ll apply that knowledge in a safe environment that can simulate nearly any medical condition you might encounter. You’ll gain 180 hours of hands-on experience along the way. So you’ll graduate uniquely prepared for one of the most challenging and rewarding careers anywhere. You'll also be eligible to sit for the national Patient Care Technician certification exam, allowing you to work in the field nationwide. This approach to education is what makes Sentara College of Health Sciences one of the top healthcare schools in the region, and will set you apart from all others.
Patient Care Technician at a Glance
- Course is 16 weeks
- Classes are part-time, covering about 16 hours of instruction, skills labs, and clinicals per week
- Day and evening clinical hours are available
- 180 hours of hands-on experience in skills labs, simulation, and clinicals
- The Course is offered in January and August each year
- High school diploma or GED required to apply
- Must be 18 years old by the first day of class
- Now accepting applications for January 2019
- Prepares you to work as a Patient Care Technician or Nursing Care Partner within Sentara Healthcare
- Patient Care Technicians and Nursing Care Partners are in high demand within Sentara and nationwide
- Placement assistance is available within Sentara Healthcare
- Graduates are eligible to sit for the national Patient Care Technician certification exam
- Note that this course does not qualify for federal student aid; payment plans and other assistance may be available
- Tuition, fees, and expenses
Career Opportunities as a Patient Care Technician/Nursing Care Partner
As a Patient Care Technician you will learn skills that can be of value to hospitals and clinics across the country. Your abilities providing patient-centric care and your specialized communication skills can be valuable in many roles within the healthcare industry. Patient Care Technicians serve patients’ needs on a personal level, using a skill set that can enhance your career and help you build a foundation for long-term success. If you choose to sit for the national certification, you can find yourself in demand for similar jobs nationwide.
Interested in this course?