Are you ready to apply? Find out here.
If you are a licensed RN who would like to obtain your Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree, you’ve come to the right place. Sentara College of Health Sciences offers an RN to BSN Program that is entirely online for your convenience. To find out if you can apply now, follow the steps here.
Step 1: First off, do you already have a degree?
If you already have an Associate of Art, Associate of Science, Associate of Art & Science, or a Bachelor’s Degree, good news! You may be able to start with the next session. To find out if you can, contact email@example.com or call the number at the bottom of this page and request a transcript review. We’ll be checking to see if you have completed 42 non-nursing credits with a “C-” or higher from an accredited institution. If so, we may be able to welcome you to the next session!
Step 2: No degree? No problem!
RNs without a previous degree, or those who have an Associate of Applied Science or an Associate of Occupational Science, can apply after obtaining a minimum of 25 credits from any of these general education courses:
- Anatomy & Physiology I w/lab (4 credits)
- Anatomy & Physiology II w/lab (4 credits)
- Developmental Psychology OR Child Psychology (3 credits)
- English Composition I (3 credits)
- English Composition II (3 credits)
- Fine Art Elective (3 credits)
- Health, Medical, Bio or Social Ethics (3 credits)
- Humanities Elective (3 credits)
- Microbiology w/lab (4 credits)
- Introduction to Psychology (3 credits)
- Introduction to Sociology (3 credits)
- Oral Communication (3 credits)
- Statistics (3 credits)
Note that you’ll need to finish all of the courses listed here with a “C-” or better prior to beginning class at Sentara College.
As you review your completed coursework, please note:
- All coursework must be completed with a grade of “C-” or higher from an accredited college or university
- Sentara College does not expire general education courses
- The general education courses listed here are not offered at Sentara College
Step 3: Submit your application and transcripts
If you’ve met the minimum requirements above, then you’re ready to take the next step. Simply click here or anywhere you see Apply Now to submit your application.
Step 4: We take it from there
After you submit all of your application materials and transcripts, we’ll send you a confirmation note. If you’re accepted into the program, you will be notified by email. A required non-refundable fee of $100 will be due within two weeks of acceptance to hold your seat.
Need to have your transcripts reviewed?
For transcripts reviews, please join us for an academic planning and information session or walk-in transcript evaluation.
Please click here for information about local college general education equivalents
Any transcripts from schools outside the U.S. must be evaluated by a NACES approved organization first.
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required and you must be 18 years of age by the first day of class
- Applicants should possess basic computer skills
- You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the USA
If English is your second language, see important information here.
Prospective applicants and students must demonstrate appropriate, responsible, respectful, and professional behavior/conduct throughout the entire admission process and in all interactions and communications with the College. The College reserves the right to deny admission or rescind acceptance to anyone who does not conduct themselves in this manner
Sentara College of Health Sciences seeks to admit qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, or disability, provided the applicant is qualified to perform the tasks necessary to meet the requirements of the Program/Course with or without reasonable accommodation.
Important Information About RN to BSN Prerequisites
If you’d like to apply to the RN to BSN Program, learn more about the requirements and prerequisites here to find out if you are eligible.
1) General education courses are not taught at Sentara College and must be taken at an institution accredited by an accrediting agency that is recognized by the Secretary of Education of the U.S. Department of Education.
2) General education/prerequisite courses will be evaluated and will be accepted only on evidence that the course content and instruction meets the requirements for the Sentara College program of interest.
3) Course descriptions, and/or syllabi may be requested by the College to evaluate general education/prerequisite course requirements.
4) You do not have to submit an application to have your transcripts reviewed. There is no obligation or charge for this service. Plan a visit to the College to have your transcript reviewed.
5) Before registering for general education courses, consult with an admissions representative at Sentara College to ensure you are registering for the appropriate general education courses.
6) There is no expiration on general education/prerequisite courses.
7) Dual enrollment courses taken in high school are acceptable. Official college transcripts of these courses must be produced for review and acceptance.
8) Each science general education course must reflect a minimum of 4 credits. Nursing admissions will review the course if it does not reflect the credit minimum.
9) Courses are considered on a course-by-course basis instead of an hour-by-hour basis with regard to the content of the course. For courses taken in quarter hours, the credits will be converted to semester hours with one quarter hour being equal to two-thirds of one semester hour.
10) Applicants requesting approval for general education or prerequisite credits from institutions outside of the United States must obtain a foreign transcript evaluation by an approved NACES agency and submit the NACES review to the College along with the foreign transcript.
General Education Course Equivalents at Select Colleges
Here you can find out which courses at local and online colleges will satisfy Sentara College’s general education prerequisites. These lists are intended as helpful quick reference guides only. Sentara College has no control over the curriculums of other schools, so the information may change. Your review of this information does not take the place of a transcript review from Sentara College. Other courses at these colleges may satisfy our general education course requirements. We will assist you with approval of general education courses that do not appear on the lists here.
All coursework must be completed with a “C-” or higher.
Select your college to see which courses satisfy our general education prerequisites:
- American Public University System (APU-AMU)
- Blue Ridge Community College (BRCC)
- College of the Albemarle (COA)
- Geneva College-Portage (GP)
- James Madison University (JMU)
- Norfolk State University (NSU)
- Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA)
- Old Dominion University (ODU)
- Southside Virginia Community College (SVCC)
- Thomas Nelson Community College (TNCC)
- Tidewater Community College (TCC)
- Virginia Tech (VT)
Please contact our Admissions Advisor at 757-388-2862 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if your course, college, or university is not listed and you need assistance checking the transferability of a course.
General Education AP, CLEP, and DANTES Equivalents
Some general education courses may also be taken through Advanced Placement (AP), CLEP, and DANTES exams.
- AP courses with a score of 3 or better will be accepted.
- Find out the transferability of CLEP, AP, DANTES, and IB tests here.
- Our code for CLEP scores is 5504